Friday, April 9, 2010

Quick Note

I started a blog a couple of weeks ago, but just have had no time to finish. So, in lieu of a full post for now, I have a quick note on a thought that came up in my head yesterday.

It is not a secret that capitalism propagates poverty. Therefore, it is the responsibility of those who benefit from capitalism to support the impoverished. Of course, there will be those who take advantage of the social service system, just as there are those who take advantage of the capitalist system; those individuals who focus on their own personal gain while ignoring, or disregarding, the effect it has on their fellow man and woman. However, our call is not changed by the actions of others. We are not called to judge why someone is hungry before we feed them, why someone is ill before we care for them, or why someone is poor before we help them make ends meet. When we begin to discuss the reason why someone is in the position they are, we begin to step on Gods toes. We are a part of this world, but we are not of this world. We have freedom to choose, but we do not have freedom to change the commands of God depending on how we feel about the choices others have made. Please, do not judge God’s people before you love them. God says to love others like He loves us. If He were to love us like we love the poor in our country, Hell would be a vacation from this life.

3 comments:

  1. I love this Jordan, beautifully written. You remind me that there are still people in organized religion who "get it". I haven't found many in Pella:) Leaving me jaded and without a community of believers to belong to. Kelly Harris Dooley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guilty. This is something I've struggled with for awhile. The "git er dun" mentality that I grew up with tells me that I should just "work harder" in order to get what I need. Its good to be reminded that God's call to love others is not contingent on what they may or may not have done to help their own situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a GREAT answer to a conversation I was having about this matter with a couple of economists! Thanks Jordan!

    ReplyDelete